Monday 11 April 2016

Look through the square window

I sat on the sofa one morning with the cat on my knee, and took this image.
I realised it represented what we often do in life - assume how we're seeing the world is the same world everyone else is seeing.

The problem is someone else might be seeing something different
Or this
Or this

None of us appreciating that our own memories, beliefs and preferences determine the shape of window we're looking through, and the direction of our attention.

Play School had it right when in the 70's they offered us a square, round or arched window to go through. Little realising they were reminding us that we each have a preference of how we perceive the world.

The picture below may be a better representation of all of the above pictures - that is, my original view can be seen along side the others. The issue is, it required me to stick my head out of my window, and set the camera to panoramic view, and then hold the camera steady as I took in the full view.


In life as in nature.

Next time you think you're seeing the full picture - think again, and remember it's only the view out of your window.

Alison Smith
Landscaping Your Life
Using nature to inspire change inside and out

No comments:

Post a Comment