"... the winter trees as they let the wind through, always through."
said Mark Nepo in his interview in Watkins Mind Body Spirit Spring 2016 issue about his book Inside the Miracle.
I've used this image a lot in coaching sessions since reading the interview - often related to relationships with others - which is why I share it today on Valentine's day.
So often in relationships (whether at work, with family, in a loving relationship, or when we're searching for that special one) it seems as if we're more like the summer trees.
I wonder therefore, what would happen if we became more like the winter trees?
- Summer Trees - are full of leaves, and a strong wind can blow them down as a result of those very leaves.
- Winter trees - with no leaves allow the wind through, and bend with the wind
- Summer - head full of 'stuff' - attachments, expectations, judgements, fear, barriers, resistance and control.
- Winter - flexible and open.
What will you choose today?
Will you be more like the summer or winter trees? or perhaps autumn or spring make more sense to you * ?
Landscaping Your Life
Using nature to inspire change inside and out
* Remembering that the power of metaphor is that we each will interpret a metaphor differently. You may therefore find other insights in the summer/winter trees than those shared above. The aim is always to simply get a different perspective on a situation that you require more insight on.